21 March 2008

Memories Live On

I went to the Canadian National Military Cemetery today to pay respects to some of our soldiers who have been lost in Afghanistan. My wife and I thought Good Friday would be a good day to do that. It was cold and there were not a lot of footsteps in the snow but some of them had obviously been visited recently - in the days this week when it was warm because the people had sunk deep in the snow. I was able to walk on the top of what was now a field of ice.
When I came to the grave of Sgt Shane Stachnik it was obvious that a close friend had been there before me as there was a bouquet of roses left and a pint of Guinness.
Sgt Stachnik, if you read the link, was one of those people who helps to keep a unit together with his sense of humour and joie de vie. Clearly, he is missed.
Everyone should visit the cemetery. It is a touching experience. They have given everything for their country. We can give the time to pay our respects.